Outrun the Moon
by Stacey Lee
Publication Date: May 24, 2016
San Francisco, 1906: Fifteen-year-old Mercy Wong is determined to break from the poverty in Chinatown, and an education at St. Clare’s School for Girls is her best hope. Although St. Clare’s is off-limits to all but the wealthiest white girls, Mercy gains admittance through a mix of cunning and a little bribery, only to discover that getting in was the easiest part. Not to be undone by a bunch of spoiled heiresses, Mercy stands strong—until disaster strikes.
On April 18, an historic earthquake rocks San Francisco, destroying Mercy’s home and school. With martial law in effect, she is forced to wait with her classmates for their families in a temporary park encampment. Mercy can’t sit by while they wait for the Army to bring help. Fires might rage, and the city may be in shambles, yet Mercy still has the ‘bossy’ cheeks that mark her as someone who gets things done. But what can one teenaged girl do to heal so many suffering in her broken city?
I remember the first day I saw the cover for Outrun the Moon!
— Rachel (@yaperfectionist) December 11, 2015
I’m a big advocate for reading racially diverse books and I knew of Stacey Lee already because of her popular book Under A Painted Sky. I still haven’t read it but was graciously sent a paperback copy from Penguin along with the arc of Outrun the Moon! Thank you!
Historical books aren’t normally for me. I’ve read a few and usually I love them if they have a romance heavy component (such as Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman….LOVE IT) but I don’t normally seek them out. I was intrigued by this book solely by the fact the main character is a Chinese girl!
What I loved:
- Mercy Wong: Our main character Mercy is such a fantastic character. She’s a doer and never lets obstacles stand in her way no matter how impossible they may seem. She loves her family dearly and is a loyal friend. She’s funny and says what she thinks.
- Friendships: Mercy builds relationships with the girls at St. Clare’s and I love seeing how they develop. So if you like girl friendships, you’ll love this book.
- Quotable! I’ve never read a book with so many inspiration or great quotes. Constantly Mercy is quoting her Ma and the lines are some of the best I’ve ever read.
- The writing: Stacey’s writing absolutely transports you to 1906 San Francisco!
- Deep feelings: Because of Mercy’s relationships with people you feel the love she has for her family and vice versa. This book will make you laugh, cry, disgust you, inspire you and every emotion in between.
- DIVERSITY! You get a good sense of the real difficulties Chinese people had to deal with in this period of time and I love how Stacey immersed you in the culture and inspired change.
What didn’t work for me:
- Even though it’s was a great book, it wasn’t my typical genre so I struggled some with that.
- I found the book easy to put down even though I was really enjoying it. And it took me the whole month to read it which might have been a combination of a book slump and it being not my normal genre.
Overall Outrun the Moon is a book that will inspire you, break your heart, and put you back together. If you love historical stories, friendships, diversity and women’s rights then this book is for you!
Quotes I loved!
“I scold the worries away. As Ma likes to say, you cannot control the wind, but you can control your sails.”
“Ma says we can measure our lives by our pain.”
“Elodie’s side of the room is adorned with several scarves, beaded bags, and even a gilt mirror on the wall. Maybe she consults it every morning to see if she’s the fairest of them all.”
I gave this book a rating of 4 stars.
About the Author:
Stacey Lee is a fourth generation Californian with roots in San Francisco Chinatown. Born in Southern California, she graduated from UCLA then got her law degree at UC Davis King Hall. She has lots of experience with earthquakes, having skinned her knees more times than she wants to remember diving under tables. One day she hopes to own a hypoallergenic horse and live by the sea. See what she’s up to on Twitter & Instagram: @staceyleeauthor.
Make sure to check out the awesome preorder campaign Stacey is running! http://readwritelove28.com/2016/02/18/stacey-preorder/
THREE FABULOUS Giveaways!
Check out this post for ALL the info!
#1 THE “GETAWAY” GIVEAWAY
This giveaway includes:
- 1 Night Stay at the Westin St. Francis Hotel in Union Square
- 2 premier tickets to see the San Francisco Symphony, a summer 2016 concert of your choosing
- 1 $20 gift card to Boudin Bakery, home of the original sourdough bread.
Retail value of the GETAWAY GIVEAWAY is $500. Please note, AIRFARE IS NOT INCLUDED. You will need to find your own transportation to San Francisco.
#2 THE “SHOW ME SAN FRANCISCO” GIVEAWAY
- 2 tickets to see Beach Blanket Babylon, SF’s favorite pop culture musical revue, in the heart of North Beach
- 2 tickets for the All About Chinatown Walking Tours, a cultural, historical and culinary adventure
- 4 tickets to the San Francisco Dungeon, a live actor show covering 200 years of thrilling San Francisco history
- 4 tickets to Madame Tussaud’s San Francisco Celebrity Wax Attraction
- 2 $20 gift cards to Boudin Bakery, home of the original sourdough bread.
- 2 San Francisco Giants premium baseball caps
- 1 $25 gift card to Books, Inc.
Retail value of this giveaway is approximately $400. Again, AIRFARE IS NOT INCLUDED. You will need to find your own way to San Francisco.
#3 THE ST. CLARE’S SHAWL GIVEAWAY
One lucky winner will receive a Saint Clare’s hand knit cream colored shawl, knitted by one of my critique partners. Note the scalloped edges, the beautiful triangular design and intricate lacework.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
These giveaways (collectively, the “Giveaway”) are governed by these official rules (“Official Rules”). By participating in the giveaway, each entrant agrees to abide by these Official Rules. The giveaway is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
The Giveaway is open to legal residents of US and Canada where not prohibited by law. Sponsor has the right to verify the eligibility of each entrant.
The Giveaway will end on May 31, 2016 at midnight, PST. A winner will be chosen at random by Rafflecopter, and winners announced on or about the week of June 1, 2016. Announcement and instructions for Giveaway will be sent to the e-mail address supplied on the entrant’s form. Each entrant is responsible for monitoring his/her e-mail account for prize notification and receipt or other communications related to this giveaway. If a potential prize winner cannot be reached within fifteen (15) days or if the prize is returned as undeliverable, that winner shall forfeit the prize. Winners may be required to return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release and Prize Acceptance Form and IRS W-9 form. If a winner fails to comply with these official rules, that winner will be disqualified.
Terms and conditions may apply to the prizes awarded in the Giveaway, such as merchant restrictions and availability. Incidental expenses and all other costs and expenses which are not specifically listed as part of a prize in these Official Rules and which may be associated with the award, acceptance, receipt and use of all or any portion of the awarded prize are solely the responsibility of the respective prize winner. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE IS SOLELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER.
Author and her affiliates, agents, and representatives are not responsible for any errors in the administration of the Giveaway, including, but not limited to, errors in any printing or posting or these Official Rules, the selection and announcement of any winner, or the distribution of any prize. Any attempt to damage the content or operation of this Giveaway is unlawful and subject to possible legal action. Author reserves the right to terminate, suspend or amend the Giveaway, without notice, and for any reason, including, without limitation.
INDEMNIFICATION AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
BY ENTERING THE GIVEAWAY, EACH ENTRANT AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS AUTHOR AND HER AFFILIATES, AND AGENTS AND ALL THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS FROM ANY LIABILITY, DAMAGES, LOSSES OR INJURY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THAT ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE GIVEAWAY AND THE ACCEPTANCE, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE THAT MAY BE WON. AUTHOR AND HER AFFILIATES, AND AGENTS DO NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONDITION, FITNESS OR MERCHANTABILITY OF THE PRIZE AND DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO ANY COMPUTER SYSTEM RESULTING FROM ACCESS TO OR THE DOWNLOAD OF INFORMATION OR MATERIALS CONNECTED WITH THE GIVEAWAY.