Hello everyone! I am thrilled to share with you a book trailer I made for Spencer Hill Press for the book
LESSONS IN FALLING by Diana Gallagher!
I was contacted by a blogging friend who also works for Spencer Hill Press about creating the official book trailer for Lessons in Falling. I had never heard of the book before but I am a huge gymnastics fan so it sounded great.
Making book trailers has been something I’ve done of the last couple years but creating one for a publisher was a whole new thing! Boy was I nervous! Because I had to do this by copyright standards, I had to use only stock video and music. This is something I have NEVER done!
But working with Spencer Hill Press and searching the internet I found some great resources and went to work! Check out the final project!
My Thoughts on the Book:
Lessons in Falling is all about Savannah who is a girl who blew out her ACL during a gymnastics meet and because of that fears have kept her from going back to the sport she loves.
Cassie, her best friend, wants Cassie to move to the city with her for college so of course she’s happy Savannah dropped out. The universities in New York don’t have gymnastics programs. As the story goes on Cassie tries to commit suicide and this throws Savannah’s world up side down.
Things I liked:
- Diversity: It’s a bit hard to tell from the summary and trailer but this book deals a lot with racial discrimination. Savannah’s hometown is a town that brought in a lot of immigrant families over the last few years and it’s causes some issues within her community. Diana does a great job and doesn’t shy away from the ugliness that comes from people’s discrimination. The latinx community in this book is just wonderful!
- The love interest, Marcos, is Mexican-American and I loved him so much! He’s had some difficult life circumstances but keeps moving forward and has dreams of his own. He sticks up for his friends and stands up for what’s right!
- Savannah: I don’t read a ton of contemporary but sometimes I find the main character’s voice kind of annoying. But I loved the voice of Savannah. She was down to earth, willing to take stances for what’s right, fun, loving and so much more! She was great!
- Soccer! I loved that the Friday night high school event is soccer and not football because it’s so popular in their town!
- The friendship: I thought Diana did a great job showing how the people closest to us may not actually be the best for us. Their friendship, the good and bad, was really well done.
- Gymnastics: Diana is a gymnast herself so it’s fun to be invited into a world I’ve never been a part of myself.
I really enjoyed Lessons in Falling a lot! It was full of questions about life, friendship, love and the future. I’d definitely recommend checking it out! 4/5 stars.
Win an advanced reader’s copy of Lessons in Falling. US Only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway