I thought I’d do a quick post to explain why I got started making book trailers and how I go about it.
It all started with the Witchlanders Truthwitch Street Team, I guess you could call it, competition. You could create entries so you could get picked to be on the street team.
So, I decided to make a video entry to Truthwitch! I had so much fun with it, that I decided I’d start making trailer for other books.
Here is my >>> Channel
How do I choose?
- This slightly difficult. First of all, I pick a book I’m actually excited about. If I’m not inspired, it’s not gonna happen.
- Then I go and read the Goodreads summaries. There have been books I’ve wanted to make a trailer for, but the summary is too long, explains too much, or just doesn’t flow.
- Once I finally have my “eureka” moment I get to work.
- Search, search, search. Because I do not film my own video, I search YouTube and Vimeo for the types of video I’m seeking. There are lots of amazing indie films on Vimeo that have been wonderful to use.
- Then I have to find the right music. Sometimes I’ve used songs that author was inspired by (such as for the Truthwitch and Queen of Shadows trailers). Other times, they are songs suggested to me by friends (Thanks Pili) and sometimes it’s just searching YouTube.
- I also make sure to check out any Pinterest boards the authors may have. This really helps me with how they envision the world and the characters.
- Then I record my voice for the narration. I went to college for Broadcast and Cinematic Arts so I have some background in video and audio editing. On my home computer I’m editing with Sony Vegas Pro 8.0.
Let me know what you’d like to see and it may be my next trailer!